June 15, 2008

Cooking at Camp

We had a great girls road trip down to Anchorage and spent two nights with Jen and Alaina.
Nothing like a road trip with Katie!!

Monday through Friday morning, Katie was a camp counselor (9 girls) and I joined Pastor Greg and Karen Newell and Pastor J.R. Markle (chief dishwasher and boy were those pots shiney!) to cook at camp. We worked long hours from early morning and well into each evening. It was a LOT of work... but mostly, it was FUN! We fed 125 kids 3 meals a day. That's a lot of food and dishes but the camp has an amazing kitchen and Jen has a very well thought out menu! Here's some pictures (click to see larger):

Karen and Greg preparing bacon and pancakes.

See the steam?!?
J.R. and Greg shining the pots - they had continual smiles on their faces even though their feet were TIRED!!

Karen and I hang on to the pot while Greg "fluffs" those mashed taters!

I'm grateful for this week. It was a good break from my "regular job" and my heart was so encouraged by the kindness, fun, and comradrey during this week. And the counselors, leaders, and kids - what a GREAT group!! I gave my heart to God at camp when I was 9. It's an amazing time for kids.
Some parents pack up their troubles and send them off to summer camp. Not these kids. They are a blessing!

2 comments:

Susan Stevenson said...

In my head, I'm singing GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN! :D

Unknown said...

Camp, wow your entire blog has brought back so many memories.
Thank you